APPOINTED – Means chosen or selected
FRUITFULNESS – Means being productive, abundance; it implies being fertile, successful or profitable. This is the desire of God for every child of his which must be set to heart and pursued vigorously being guided by the demands for fruitfulness. The extent to which a man is connected to God the source of all that it takes to be fruitful is the extent to which one is fruitful.
Anyone that is detached from God stand the risk of withering because the life that they require for fruitfulness is not in them. It is therefore an imperative for anyone who desires to be productive to stay connected to the source which is God in the person of Jesus Christ.
APPOINTMENT FOR FRUITFULNESS
Our appointment for fruitfulness is rooted in God’s intention and pronouncement to humanity before and after creating man. His intention was expressed in Genesis.1:26-27 “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them”.
His pronouncement after creating man is recorded in Genesis 1:28 “And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth”.
This intention of God expressed in his pronouncement was terminated when the devil succeeded in deceiving man in the garden of Eden in Genesis chapter 3; God however decided to restore man to this purpose through Jesus Christ by sending him to destroy the work of the devil and making salvation available to mankind.
Jesus Christ therefore made the declarations in John chapter 15 reinstating the same purpose of God’s intention for his people to be fruitful. We shall look at our text – Chapter 15 of John’s gospel to discuss this purpose of God for every believer.
1. Fruitfulness is an appointment in God right from creation – Gen.1:28
2. Fruitfulness is a desire of God for every believer – Gen.1:28
3. Fruitfulness is a product of your connection to God through His son Jesus Christ –John.15:1,4
4. Fruitfulness requires pruning and purging – v2
5. Fruitfulness is a continuous process and must be progressive –v4,
6. Fruitfulness demands continuous abiding in Christ –v4
7. Fruitfulness is connected to keeping God’s word in you –v7
8. Fruitfulness glorifies God
9. Not being fruitful is dangerous, One that is not fruitful stands the risk of being cut off
10. Fruitfulness should be an all round mark of our lives- Spiritual, academic, financial, marital etc.
The life of a believer must be a fruitful one, anything contrary to that is a violation of God’s divine design and purpose for man’s creation. The question is are you producing the desired fruit as a believer, is your life reflecting productivity as pronounced by God at creation; what is the level of your connection and abiding in the Lord or how much and for how long have you been disconnected from the source of fruitfulness? We need to examine our lives and pray to fulfill this mandate of fruitfulness given to us by God.